The last time lightning struck, a preacher and Khalil were shot by one of Tobias’ cronies, during a march for peace. We also met a new player on the bad guys’ side in Lady Eve, who is someone that Tobias Whale answers to. This week, how is everyone going to handle Khalil getting shot? How is Tobias going to handle the confirmation that Black Lightning is still alive? Just how much power does this Lady Eve actually have.
There’s a new drug on the street called Greenlight. One of Jefferson’s students is found freaking out from it. Jefferson has to blast him twice, but luckily the kid was so drugged up that he has no memory of anything happening. There’s a couple things that come from this. One, Jefferson definitely wants to track down who is making and selling this drug, as it’s impacting his students. But also, the school board is fighting Jefferson over disciplinary actions regarding his students.
Let’s stick with the school board stuff. Essentially, Jefferson wants to give the student, Bernard, a second chance, as he doesn’t believe expelling the student is going to help the student. The Board wants the student gone, seemingly as some type of zero tolerance policy. They didn’t specify “zero tolerance,” but that was the first thought I had when watching this. Eventually, the Board puts Jefferson in a no-win situation in which he accepts that he can save Bernard, but the Board will have control of future decisions. I say it’s no-win, because if he allows them to get rid of Bernard, he has essentially lost control. The fight is just going to happen again the next time there is someone the Board wants gone. I also found the commentary interesting. The belief that just because someone makes a mistake in judgment, that doesn’t mean you should just toss them out. If you toss them out, then how do you expect them to improve? It’s a thought that is in opposition to how many schools operate.
Now, onto the Black Lightning portion of the “don’t do drugs” episode. He, of course, is pounding information out of people. He then heads to a warehouse where his informant and Gambi say they are distributing the drug. Obviously, it’s a larger, better organized operation than what the 100 Gang could do on there own. As he’s about to take a closer look, there is an explosion nearby. Black Lightning leaves, but there’s no one around where the explosion occurred. Gambi sees that someone with powers caused it, but doesn’t tell Jefferson and deletes the video. Gambi checks out the scene by himself, while Black Lightning is called away to save Bernard at a drug den.
The viewer knows that the explosion sound came from a fight that Anissa was in. Some men tried to harm Grace, and Anissa, who is getting a handle on making her powers work at will just took them out. Not sure what Gambi deleting the video means. Does he think this may be one of the daughters? If so, then why did he take a shot gun? Does he think that this may a new villain, and wants Black Lightning to stay focused on Tobias? It’s kind of strange.
There seems to be some drama building between Jennifer and her family, and Jennifer and Khalil. Much to the dismay of her parents, she quit the track team to spend more time with Khalil and his recovery. However, she seemed kind of disappointed that Khalil didn’t make a bigger deal that she quit the track team. Was she hoping that he would thank her and confess his undying love for her? Or maybe try to talk her out of it? Not sure, but this is probably something that will build later on. Right now, there’s a bigger development with Khalil, other than his spine being completely severed by the bullet.
Lady Eve tells Tobias that some mysterious “they” only gave him control of the 100 Gang because his resume included killing Black Lightning. But now, Black Lightning isn’t really dead, so they are feeling lied to. So, he had better figure something out. Then his sister shows up, and talks him into a plan to turn the people against Black Lightning. The first part of their plan is to turn Khalil against Black Lightning. Tobias has paid for Khalil’s medical bills, along with other amnesties to make his stay more comfortable, and then meets with Khalil that this is all Black Lightning’s fault. Yes, it’s a little cliche, but it makes sense within the story. Turning the community against Black Lightning makes his job a little more difficult, but the stress is probably going to weigh on Jefferson more than it’s going to impede Black Lightning.
Here are my thoughts while watching this episode.
- Well, that’s an interesting start. Some boy was freaking out in the bathroom. Looks like this is going to be a drug focused episode.
- And Anissa found some drug dealers trying to sell to her students. Yep, drug focused episode.
- New drug Greenlight……Red light.
- Snitches get….lightning bolts. Boom.
- The guy’s name is Two bits? Does he have partners Four Bits, Six Bits, and A Dollar?
- Lady Eve is doing something with a dead body, and it’s pretty creepy.
- Welp, there goes that lead. The student gave up who he got the drugs from, but that dude be dead.
- Khalil is starting his road to recovery. Seems they’re taking him down the optimistic route.
- Tobias has anger issues. Just killed, probably, the corornor that said Black Lightning was dead.
- Ouch, the parents think Jennifer should be spending less time with Khalil. That’s harsh.
- Oh boy, token dinner conversation about Black Lightning while hardly anyone knows that Black Lightning is right there.
- Get the feeling Jefferson is about to reveal his powers to Anissa.
- And she may have just seriously injured those drug dealers from earlier.
- Jefferson is warning Two Bits that the cops might be bearing down on him. That’s a little weird. Wonder if this is just confirming for a later encounter with Black Lightning.
- “Black kids ODing has never been news-worthy.” That cuts deep.
- Yep, Black Lightning confronts Two Bits.
- Jennifer seems disappointed that she didn’t get a bigger response out of Khalil about quitting the track team.
- The Board is attempting to take final say on discipline away from Jefferson.
- So, Tobias has a sister?
- Electric vision? See every powered object? Clever.
- More Anissa kicking ass.
- Black Lightning hears an explosion that draws him away from the warehouse with Greenlight. Gambi saw footage of someone, but doesn’t tell Black Lightning this. Instead, he takes a shotgun and investigates himself.
- Tobias’ sister is going to orchestrate the old “let’s turn the people against Black Lightning ploy.”
- So, an anonymous donor is buying Khalil stuff and covering his bills. And now Khalil gets the news that his spinal cord is completely severed and he’s not working again. Wondering if this is part of Tobias’ plan.
- Jefferson agrees to give up final say to save one student. Seems like a plan that is going to backfire.
- Argh. Bernard went to look for more drugs. Black Lightning bails him out.
- Does Jefferson have an inspirational teamwork poster of himself in his office? That seems conceited.
- Yep, Tobias meeting with Khalil.